Thursday, March 6, 2014

Modern Psalms for Lenten Journey: 2014 Playlist for Pilgrims

This year I am giving up snow for Lent. That's right, I have decided to fast from the frozen flakes and repent of shoveling, scraping windshields, and canceling events and activities due to hazardous road conditions.

Lent 2014 has also prompted yet another rendition of "Modern Psalms for the Lenten Journey." This playlist for pilgrims has become an annual ritual for the forty-day movement from cross to resurrection, a musical score for the ancient Christian discipline of confession, repentance, lament, and contemplating how we long to be made right by the God who created us in the beginning. A few of these songs will warrant a blogpost of their own, juxtaposing the contemporary lyric with a portion of ancient Scripture.

As a bonus this week, check out the Lenten reflection (below) by Diana Butler-Bass as featured on the rich on-line resource: www.theworkofthepeople.com.

Also check out a post from last year:

Why Lent? DJesus Uncrossed, Tarantino & Peter Rollins as Liturgical Reminders


Modern Psalms for Lenten Journey: 2014 Playlist

1. "Wayward and Torn" by Gungör (I Am Mountain)

2. "Desert Soul" by Rend Collective (Homemade Worship by Handmade People)

3. "Hopeless Wanderer" by Mumford & Sons (Babel)

4. "Wandering" by Gungör (I Am Mountain)

5. "Thy Will Be Done" by Derek Webb (I'm Sorry, I Was Wrong, & I Love You)

6. "I Shall Not Want" by Audrey Assad (Fortunate Fall)

7. "Heart Runs" by John Mark McMillan (Borderland)

8. "Called Home" by Over the Rhine (Meet Me at the Edge of the World)

9. "The World You Want" by Switchfoot (Fading West)

10. "Everything Will Change" by Derek Webb (I'm Sorry, I Was Wrong, & I Love You)

11. "Spirit of the Living God" by Audrey Assad (Fortunate Fall)

12. "O How I Need You" by All Sons & Daughters (The Longing EP)

13. "Hold Us Together" by Matt Maher (Alive Again)